My song has no melody, so I hope you like the words

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Waiting For the Autumn Dance

Okay, so my last few posts have been a bit on the heavy side… time to lighten up!

It’s been rainy and windy here for a few days now; the ground is finally getting the soaking it needs before curling up for a winter nap. The leaves on the trees are tinged with red and orange even though the air is still warm and moist. I can almost hear them saying ‘we’ve been hanging here long enough!’ I’m ready for cooler temperatures myself; the heat is not my friend. The old Farmer’s Almanac predicts a cold winter, which would be welcome after the scorching hot summer we just endured. I have to remind myself that we moved back east partly because we missed the changing seasons, and that both Winter’s chill and Summer’s sweat are made worthwhile by Fall.

Waiting For the Autumn Dance

The leaves atremble with delight
Their colors soon so bright
Excitedly they sway while still held fast by wood
They soon will fly like a child’s bright kite

Wait now, but not for long
The music of the skies will form their song
Their summer homes will soon set them free
To dance amid the breezes strong

As air is cooled by Autumn’s kiss
All creation glows with golden bliss
The trees grow quiet to reach roots below
And leaves are jewels, not one amiss

Filling skies with silent laughter
They celebrate their freedom in a blur
Then just as quickly they settle into brown
And rest on colder ground with honor

1 comment:

  1. You need another catagory under your posts. For this one I would check off "fun".

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete