My song has no melody, so I hope you like the words

Friday, September 3, 2010

Primary Primer

I don’t know if it is this confusing in other states, but Delaware doesn’t make it easy to figure out who you are voting for. Our state primaries are being held in 11 days, and though I know the candidates I want to support, figuring out where they are listed can be confusing. The state mailed me a helpful “Delaware Polling Place Card” telling me where and when I can vote on September 14th.

My choices will be limited, because only voters registered for a particular party can vote in that primary. That means all of you unfettered independents will have to wait until the general election to vote for whoever is left, because only those who are registered as Democrats or Republicans can vote in the 2 closed primaries. I swallowed my independent pride a few years ago when I figured out that I wanted a voice in the selection of conservative candidates, and that often happens in the Republican primary, before the general election. On Election Day in November, I may wind up voting for the third party candidate, but on September 14th I can just support “mainstream conservative” candidates.

First listed on the helpful card is my Electoral District. Delaware only has 3 electoral votes, but my electoral district is #8. Go figure. Somehow that number, combined with my State Representative District, determines where to find my polling place. All 41 State Representatives are elected every 2 years. That means your vote in the primary may help determine who will be on the ballot in November. In my State Representative district, #27, the lone conservative [and only Republican] is running against a proudly “progressive” labor leader and the incumbent who is bragging about how many new laws and regulations he has helped pass in his short tenure. Since there is no other Republican in the race, he is unopposed and will not be on the primary ballot. I can put up a yard sign for him, or encourage people to vote for him in November, but my energy for now is on contested primary races.

Next is my State Senate District, which is #10 out of a total of 21. My State Senator is not running this year, because only ½ of those positions are on the ballot every 2 years. I’m stuck with my current State Senator for 2 more years. If you live in a district that IS on the ballot, you can learn who the candidates are by going to the following link:
http://elections.delaware.gov/information/campaignfinance/pdfs/office%20table.pdf

For the single US Senate seat up for a vote this year, there are 2 Republican candidates, 2 Third party candidates and 1 Democratic candidate in the race. Since the Democratic candidate has no competition, there is no Democratic primary for that position. Same for our single US Representative, there are 3 Republicans vying to run against the single Democratic and 3 Third Party candidates. These 2 races will determine who speaks for us in Washington for at least the next 2 years, or 6 years in the case of the US Senator. Please prayerfully consider whom you will support and if you are registered as a Republican, please vote on September 14th!

There are several other races in Delaware this year, depending on which county AND which County Council or Levy of Deeds district you live in. Those marked with a “ *” will have a primary in one party or both on September 14th.

Attorney General – 1 Democrat, Joe Biden’s son, is running against 1 Third Party candidate
*State Treasurer –2 Democrats, 1 Republican
*Auditor of Accounts – 2 Democrats, 1 Republican
*LC CC - 2 Republicans in District #3 primary [My LC CC is #6, no primary since both parties have unopposed candidates]
*Sheriff for New Castle County –2 candidates each party primary
Sheriff for Sussex County - 1 candidate in each party, so no primary
*Recorder of Deeds, Sussex County – 2 Democrats in primary
Recorder of Deeds, Kent County -4 candidates in 4 parties [it must be an important job downstate!]
Registrar of Wills – 1 candidate in each party, so no primary

I have probably missed someone here, and encourage you to do your own homework. This is an ‘off year’ – in 2012 there will also be elections for governor, Lt governor, insurance commissioner, Clerk of the Peace, etc.

In case you missed, your first opportunity to cast a vote in the 2010 elections is coming in just 11 days, on September 14th. Please exercise your right to vote!

No comments:

Post a Comment