My song has no melody, so I hope you like the words

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Mary Had The Right Idea

But the Lord said to her, “My dear Martha, you are worried and upset over all these details! There is only one thing worth being concerned about. Mary has discovered it, and it will not be taken away from her.” Luke 9:41-42 NLT

Johnny Cash reads to me almost every night at bedtime. Sort of. My Ipod is loaded with him reading the New Testament, and most nights I listen to a couple of chapters to help me rest. Better than sleeping pills, the Word of God eases my heart and mind, and Johnny reads it in a soothing way.

Last night these words from Luke jumped out at me, because my mind was racing about a million details and challenges. There are many things nowadays that are difficult for me, and I get frustrated and fall into the trap of stressing about what remains undone. This is not what the Lord desires, I just need frequent reminders!

Most of my life I have acted more like Martha, staying busy and "productive." I was comfortable with my never ending lists, and reveled in checking things off one by one. Rarely did I rest in the peace that passes understanding, and my life was poorer for it. Rather than focusing on knowing God more each day, I focused on doing for him, just like Martha.

All of those achievements will be forgotten, and what will be left is what Mary had all along - love. Lord, please help me to focus on what really matters, and let the rest fade away.

PS - Please vote once a day for National Network of Youth Ministries at the bottom of my homepage!

No comments:

Post a Comment