My song has no melody, so I hope you like the words

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Today’s Rally in DC

If you’ve read anything I’ve posted here about politics, you know I feel strongly that we are trading our freedom for the false security of government-controlled handouts. I have shared with you statements by the writer’s of our Constitution that make it clear the entitlements that are driving our nation into bankruptcy have no place in this free Republic.

That is my opinion, and you are entitled to yours. You may agree with our President that “spreading the wealth around” is a good thing. You may even agree with the policy statements of the website quoted below. One of the speakers today, the president of the SEIU, said that instead of bailing out the wealthy corporations we should instead start bailing out the union workers. I’m not quite sure how another misguided financial policy is going to help, but she is free to say that as loudly as she wants.

That said, I have at least two major problems with the rally held today in our nation’s capitol. The first is that the organizers lied, and the second is that one of their spokesmen just stated on national television that I am apparently not a “real American.”

The organizers of the event are now saying their rally had nothing to do with the Restoring Honor rally organized by Glenn Beck, but I had previously read exactly the opposite at the Young Communist League website at www.cpusa.com. After a very defamatory description of the 8/28 event, the website said this:

“…he [Glenn Beck] should have known that the masses would not allow it to go unanswered. That same day [8/28/10] the One Nation Working Together rally was announced."

Now they are trying to claim their rally had nothing to do with Beck's event. I think it is because even with over 400 organizations representing labor unions, civil rights activists, gay rights activists, left wing political groups, environmentalists, etc. they drew a fraction of Beck’s crowd for their rally today. They PAID people’s bus fare to come, and used all of the persuasive abilities of their various groups to get people to attend. “...organizations from around the country most notably including the AFL-CIO and the NAACP [who] have put millions of dollars into providing transportation and assistance to get the word out.” [again, from the YCL website] You decide where the truth is between these different statements. Either it was or was not a response to the 8/28 event.

Now it gets even more personal. I just heard Al Sharpton say that today's rally was for "real Americans", insinuating that those who attended 8/28 were not actually Americans.
Hey, Al - what does that make the 650,00 or so of us who stood together and prayed on 8/28???? I have no problem with protesters; I’m one myself. But the commentary tonight was too much for me to bear silently. It saddens me that a peaceful gathering of people joining together to pray and seek God’s guidance would be met with such hostility and ad hominem attacks. Our nation deserves better.

No comments:

Post a Comment