My song has no melody, so I hope you like the words

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Abandonment

My devotional calendar had this to say for today:
“One of the greatest fears we have is abandonment. When those feelings of abandonment come, rest on the promise’s of God’s Word.”

October is a tough month for me, because it reminds me of those very issues of abandonment and loss in my own life. I was grateful for this reminder that I am never really alone. A dear friend has been struggling with this recently as well, feeling like he is all alone. I have been trying to reassure him that he isn’t, because I know that will give him the courage he needs to act, but that assurance is not something I can force him to accept. It is up to him, and each one of us, to trust that God’s promises are true.

All I know is that when I was in the most distress, my loving Father stood with me, and gave me hope and courage to walk by faith. One of the verses I cling to when it feels like the world is against me comes from Isaiah 49, a chapter of prophecy about the coming of our Savior Jesus Christ. This verse speaks deeply to my heart because my mother in fact abandoned me on many levels. The Lord knew all of that before it happened, and this truth from His word was there for me all along:

“Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you! See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands; your walls are ever before me.” Is 49:15-16

Dear Lord, please help my friend to accept your truth. Thank you for your mercy, for not abandoning us in our distress!

“When you are in distress and all these things have happened to you, then in later days you will return to the LORD your God and obey him. For the LORD your God is a merciful God; he will not abandon or destroy you or forget the covenant with your forefathers, which he confirmed to them by oath.” Deut 4:30-31

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful, Lisa. I've been there too. Still am sometimes. People cannot always be "be there". Only He can, and wishes to own that sole place in each of our hearts.

    I'm so glad to see you're blogging; sharing your valuable thoughts. I really enjoy hearing you. Thanks, sis. :) Rosalind D.

    ReplyDelete