My song has no melody, so I hope you like the words

Saturday, October 20, 2012

Trying My Hand At Fiction

Now for something different... I'm writing a fictional story about social collapse and redemption in a future country lost in governmental social engineering policies. Sounds fun, doesn't it? I am not as paranoid or sold out to consiracy theories as this seems to indicate. It is a picture of a world I hope will never be, more nightmare than reality.
Anyway, here is the opening paragraph, so far. If it grabs you, let me know!
Ruth held the steering wheel so tightly that her knuckles were white, and it took every fiber of her being not to go over the speed limit. That would have only made things worse by triggering the automatic cameras linked into the city’s database. Today is not a good day for my car to be noticed, she reminded herself grimly. Silently willing herself not to hunch over the cracked and fading wheel or do anything else to attract the attention of curious onlookers, she kept her eyes focused on the busy road straight ahead. The main city artery was crowded with cars swerving to avoid the numerous potholes and cracks that bore silent witness to the decaying city infrastructure. She was surprised by how many cars were still on the road here, and wondered how many of them were driven by government workers.

No comments:

Post a Comment