My song has no melody, so I hope you like the words

Friday, February 3, 2012

Serving Others

There was a time in my life when it seemed like all I did was serve others. Sometimes it was hard, but most of the time it brought me joy to be actively engaged in the world. If I'm totally honest, it gave me a sense of self worth to do things for others. I was what we used to call a "compulsive volunteer" - if there was a ministry that needed something done, I would jump right in.

Listening to a sermon this week on Christian service made me nostalgic for those days. It was easy to believe my life had value and meaning when there were tangible results, when I could look at my activities for the week and see something specific that made a difference. I was physically strong and willing to work hard to meet the needs of loved ones as well as those God brought before me.

My life doesn't look like that anymore. On the outside, it appears that all I do is sit around and leave the heavy lifting to everybody else. My desire to share God's love through acts of service hasn't changed, just my ability to do it the way I used to.

Instead of checking off multiple goals on a list [oh, those lovely lists I used to make!] my daily goals are simple: breathe, pray, breathe, pray, then whatever else I can manage.

The really cool part has been discovering a richer and more satisfying life than I ever imagined, and I thank God for being patient with me long enough for me to figure it out. I have only begun to discover the wonder and beauty of fellowship with my Lord. The quiet stillness of His majesty is even more awesome to me than the sense of His presence in my once busy life.

I have finally started to learn how to pray without ceasing. I pray for the needs that I know about, and ask God to reveal to me what else needs praying about. I listen, which is more central to prayer than any written list.

On the outside it may look like I'm sitting still, but God knows I am serving others by lifting them up to Him in prayer. By all means, do for others as you are able. Make meals, teach, organize, heal, drive on errands, sing, preach - use all of your gifts and abilities. But if there ever comes a time when you cannot "do" anything, simply pray, and watch in wonder to see what God will do.

No comments:

Post a Comment