My song has no melody, so I hope you like the words

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Hopes and Dreams

Who places these desires
Deep within our souls
And drives us on continually
To such a far-fetched goal?

Does God within each child He makes
Plant seeds of greatness to be sown
Then leave us in life's tangled grasp
To find the way alone?

A loving Father could not, I'm sure
And yet I wonder why
These hopes and dreams I carry
Seem destined still to die

I ask Him in my quiet time
Are each of us the same?
Does every child of God
Have dreams they know by name?

When I look across the crowded pews
And see tranquility
I try to glimpse within the hearts
And know what God can see

Are they satisfied by daily life,
By outward symbols of success?
Does that old man feel content
That life has been his best?

Or does he now prepare to die
And leave this earthly realm
With hopes and dreams unsatisfied
And regrets that overwhelm?

Does the housewife in her lacy dress
Seek more than what she's found,
Or does her average, daily world
Bring joy while duty bound?

I wonder all these things and more
As I sit there in my pew
God has not revealed the truth to me
And those who I can ask are few

No comments:

Post a Comment